Monday, November 29

New Project!

(I'm just going to post here what I posted to the event on FB.)

In October of this year, it was estimated that up to 210,000,000 (210 million) children are living as orphans world-wide, most orphaned by HIV-AIDS. In 2007, it was estimated that 150, 000, 000 (150 million) of those children were living on the streets. In October of 2009, after graduating high school, I was lucky enough to spend two months in Guatemala on a volunteer abroad program in an orphanage.
For those of you who know me, you know how much it meant to me to be able to spend those two months at the orphanage. It housed around 100 children from as young as 4 days to as old as 14 or 15. The experience changed my life, changed the ways I look at my own life and the way I prioritize things. Of all the heartbreaking things I experienced at the orphanage, the lack of baby supplies was something that really got to me. Many times I would see babies being changed, and cleaned up with a pair of jeans or a shirt – not exactly the fabric you want to be using as toilet paper. During my last week at the orphanage one of the “senioritas” told my friend and I that they were in the biggest need for wipes which leads me to the task at hand.
At the end of February 2011 I will be returning to Guatemala and doing three weeks at the same orphanage. I would love to be able to give back to the orphanage a bit of what the kids gave to me, only in the form of wipes, baby powder and other supplies instead of hugs, kisses and the cutest smiles you’ll ever see. I’m asking that if you feel it’s right for you that you help not me, but the kids, and donate a package of wipes, a bottle of baby powder or whatever you wish to donate – a toy, clothes, whatever! There are no limits, rules or anything to this project – just as long as I can fit it in a suitcase! Haha.
There are millions of orphans in this world, millions of victims, millions of people hurting and suffering every day. We can’t save everyone; I’m just putting a chance out there for you to put a little sunshine in the world, to help possibly improve a tiny part of one of those 210,000,000 children’s’ lives. I know that money is tight and especially over the next two months, money is tighter but even a 2$ donation would make a difference. Any money donations will go 100% to buying supplies, which I will buy in Guatemala as it is more convenient.
If you have any questions I can be contacted through Facebook, by email and by phone. If you have a donation, you can bring it to my work, mail it (inquire for my address), deliver to my house or simply give me a ring and I will pick it up (if it is on Grand Manan). Everything counts!
Bailey.j.small@hotmail.com
506-662-3605 (Home
506-662-4515 (Mobile)
506-662-3103 (Work)
Thank you so much if you took the time to check out this group and actually read into it! If you can’t donate, but you know a friend who would be interested, please let them know. I will be accepting donations right up until I leave – February 9th. Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.