Friday, May 27

feliz cumpleaños a mi!

How many birthdays has someone asked you Hey, how does it feel to be one year older? How does it feel to be 18? Do you feel different now? I can honestly say I hear it most years and I will also admit I ask everyone. The thing is.. I usually feel the exact same, apart from having a little extra attention than most days.

Tomorrow is my 20th birthday, the big TWO ZERO, two decades on earth! So if anyone was planning to ask me if I feel different, older, wiser, happier... the answer this year is yes. I feel amazing and I do feel like its a whole new year of oppurtunity and growth and experience.

My nineteenth year was really great, and not just because I had finally turned 19. I have spent the last 4 months or so of being 19 traveling around and learning so much, growing, trying new things. Just yesterday I was writing in my journal about how my trip was soon coming to an end and all the things I had gained and in a way it related not just to my trip but to my life right now and this milestone Im hitting. I wrote

[My trip is coming to an end and there have been lots of ups and downs. Even with the bad experiences, I still do not regret anything. Even if an experience is negative, its still an experience, and it still comes together with all the other things that happen in my life to make it what it is. A lot of times its the bad experiences I learn a lesson from and grow from. If I have learned anything on this trip it is that I am more brave and more naive then I once knew, that I have more to offer than I could have imagined, I am stronger and more independant than 4 months ago and I have learned its okay to be sad. I have learned that the only person holding me back is myself most of the time and when I think that its other people getting in my way, its usually myself getting in my own way, no one else controls my destiny as powerfully as I do.]

I think that the lessons Iv learned on this trip, and all the lessons in my life, will be so useful. I feel like Im entering a new part of my life, and unlike some of my friends who are a little uneasy about being in their 20s, im ready to embrace it! I am thankful for my past and all the experiences I have been through but I am so ready for what is ahead because honestly, what ISNT ahead? I feel like the things I have learned with the adventure Im on now were basically lessons preparing me for the next chapter.

It is crazy to be exiting adolescence because some days I still feel like im 14 and some days people probably think I act that way too. Im not saying that tomorrow Im going to morph into this super human adult but Im ready for whatever morphing may happen in the next few years. While on this trip I even started writing a 30 before 30 list, 30 things I wish to do in the next 10 years. I also compiled a list of things I had accomplished up until the age of 20 to motivate me.

So I guess that is all for now. Although it is not my birthday for another 7 hrs or so in Guatemala, I will certainly be celebrating all weekend. I wish I could be home to celebrate with all those who love me unconditonally, I will admit its kind of sad being so far away, but I will definitely enjoy myself here.

Thanks to everyone who has been a part of my life for the past 20 years, whether in a big way or a small way, you all contributed to 20 years that were full of good times and a ton of love. I am so thankful for every single person in my life and you all can still send me gifts, just sayin. hehe. Okay. You dont have to send me gifts but .. at least write on my wall! hehehe.

Big Love! Enjoy your weekends!. xo

3 comments:

  1. Love you Munchie! 20 years is a long time if you're waiting for something but not that long if you got something unexpectedly. Thankful that Dr. Andrade didn't learn to tie knots or burn tubes all that well. An Early Happy Birthday wish to you! Love you always XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the very happiest of birthdays Bailey! You've had quite an adventure and I think you're right about learning more from the bad experiences. After all, it's how you handle those things that really show what you're made of and help shape who you will be down the road. You are amazing and brave and I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right when you say that the only person holding you back is yourself. I struggle with that one often, but thanks for the reminder! Traveling, especially solo, teaches you an incredible amount about life and yourself, and is a priceless experience. Turning the bad experiences into a lesson learned is a powerful thing. Happy birthday, and I hope your next decade will be as great as your last seemed to be! Take care, and enjoy the last days of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.