Wednesday, October 26

Anti-Gay Bulling

Pleaase watch this quick video. The message is amazing and everyone needs to hear it. Plus it is what my blog is about so you will be a lot less lost. Thanks. :)



It feels like every other time I sign online there is a news story, facebook post or blog about another teen suicide. Suicide is horrifying and it affects so many people on such an intense level, it is one of those things that is hard for me to wrap my head around and I am having a hard time blogging about it, to be honest.

The most horrifying part of these recent suicides is that SO many of them are happening because of bullying. Most of the bullying is anti gay bulling. Kids are discriminating against other kids because of who they are attracted to/love. The thing that bothers me even more is that, in my very unexpert, young, silly, "progressive" opinion, this behavior is learned. You aren't born hating people for things for things like race, sexuality, gender, religion, hair color etc... you're taught it, you pick it up, monkey see monkey do. You are rarely BORN to be an ignorant prick.

Who is teaching 13 year olds to hate and torture their peers (gay or not) to the point where the child takes their own life? Scary thought. You would think that people would grow out of this sort of immature and ignorant behavior. You would think they could get their facts straight, that most LGBT people are not making a CHOICE, they are born this way, just like anyone is born straight, black, female, etc. It's just the way it is. And even if it IS a choice, it is THEIR choice to make and no one else gets a say or a fucked up opinion on whether its wrong or right. Apparently some people aren't making the connection though and for some stupid reason they are passing on their stupidity to their children who are then helping cause suicide. Fabulous.

In the video Mercer mentions that you don't have to go out and wave around a pride flag. You don't. You don't have to even think about other peoples sexuality. That's the thing. Why does one care enough about another persons sexuality enough to HATE the person for it or have an opinion about it at all? Last week I was having a bit of an argument over this sort of thing with a family member.. she said "Oh well Bailey..you're just so progressive" in a bit of a judgemental, sarcastic, mocky sort of tone (to the person who said this, i love you and my feelings were not hurt in the least and yours shouldnt be either for anonymouslymentioning you). I replied with "No. I'm not. I just don't get the big deal."

I don't. I never have. I never in my whole life have understood why people dislike others because of differences like race and sexuality. I don't think I was raised in a particular way towards these topics so maybe that is why.. it just was never an issue. Maybe this makes me less entitled to give an opinion as I have no idea how it is to be raised to be racist/homophobic/sexist etc...maybe I shouldn't judge people in that way. I probably should though.

I have no idea how to verbally describe the way that homophobia (and a lot of these issues) makes me feel. It makes me crawl from the innermost corners of my gut and my heart and my soul and as I think more and more of it, the feelings of frustration, anger and confusion stretch through my whole body and mind and takes me to a level of anger that nothing else makes me reach. I am not violent.. at all. I have never thrown a punch in my life. But when I hear people making homophobic comments and being generally ignorant I feel like I could tear someone apart with my bare hands.

So, to my homophobic readers (though I am highly doubting I have many): It is two thousand fucking eleven people. It is longer acceptable to be hateful, to bully someone for their sexuality, to be an ignorant fucking moron. Being supportive of gay rights does not make you gay like it did when we were fucking 8 years old. If you want to stick up for someone, STICK UP FOR SOMEONE! I am quite fond of males.. I actually really like boys.. a lot. They are fabulous. But if you want to call me a lesbian because I am so passionate about gay rights then, bueno, I'm a lesbian. I could care less what you think as long as you understand that your homophobia is WRONG.

God is not telling you to be homophobic either. I know a lot of amazing followers of Christ who are not homophobic in the least. If we followed everything in the bible like we were suppose to in like 2097427 BC to we'd be throwing stones at people and if there is any justice we would have hanged your ass. In Leviticus, the same book that contains a lot of text about homosexuality being an abomination, it also mentions that men should not be having any sort of physical contact (not sharing the couch/bed/car for example) with women while they are menstruating. Don't you think that's a bit outdated? Not just outdated, but a little over the top. It states that menstruation is basically disgusting. 1 Corinthians 11 states that men with long hair is wrong. What? Come again?

You see.. not everything in the bible can be taken literally anymore in my opinion. We have adapted the lessons in the bible to fit our society, which happens to have a lot of amazing homosexuals in it! The bible was written QUITE a while ago in case you were wondering. I'm tired of people using religion as an excuse for their hate. (If I have made any flubs on the bible references please give a message. I did my research but google is not always trustable and I'm no bible expert. I would also like to reiterate that I know a lot of amazing Christians, I love a lot of amazing Christians and am inspired daily by them. I in no way have any hate for anyone of any religion, but to be honest I think a LOT of homosexual hate stems from biblical texts. Please message me if you feel offended by anything I said!!)

The point I'm trying to make here through all this ranting, raving and getting crazy and fired up, is that it is unacceptable for this sort of hate to be going on, especially in our schools. 300 children are committing suicide in canada every year, THREE HUNDRED. Whether they are being bullied because of their sexuality or they are just being bullied or they are depressed.. something needs to be done. It is totally unacceptable.

I want everyone reading this to try and do something if you feel touched or obliged or have any sort of compassionate bone in your body. If you are homophobic and you want to do nothing I want you to do absolutely nothing - in fact, I don't even want you to speak. I want you tp keep your mouth fucking shut and keep your (wrong)opinions to yourself because no one wants to hear what you have to say about it anymore.

I'm personally going to take a few steps to do what I can. First of all, I wrote this blog and just released a lot of insanity from my soul (this post has been a LONG time coming). Second, I'm going to work harder to stop using gay as a synonym for stupid. I try but it was a habit picked up when I was about 8 and I didn't understand how offensive it was. I am trying everyday. Third, I'm going to start standing up for people in public when I hear any sort of joke.. or at least taking some names and letting off some steam. I have let things slide so many times being a little pansy ass bitch but I need to practice what I preach.

Please make some sort of pledge to work towards an end to this because it's long overdue. What will you do to make a change? How will you stand up? Because like Mercer said, it is time for us all to step up.

Big, major, love.
Bail. x

4 comments:

  1. I posted the video on facebook.
    I completely agree with the fact that kids are "taught" this behaviour. Sure some parents don't literally sit their children down and say "Gay is bad", but as a parent I feel I have a responsibility to teach my children that being gay is just as normal as being straight.

    My oldest son who is now 8 asked me last year what "gay" was because another kid called someone it at school.
    I explained what it meant, and he kinda was grossed out. I told him its fine for him not to like other boys. But some boys DO like other boys, and its not ok to make them feel any less of a person for it. I asked him how he would feel if he was in fact gay, and other kids made fun of him for it. He said it would hurt and make him sad and it wouldn't be fair because there is nothing he can about it. <3

    I asked him how he would feel if one of his friends was gay. He said he wouldn't care cause they are still his friend, he just wouldn't kiss him lol
    But to be fair when I brought up kissing girls he was grossed out by that too lol.. kids are innocent. And if you teach them understanding and compassion, its not in their nature to bully!

    As a mother I can't imagine losing a child this way...
    I could cry right now just thinking about it.
    My heart hurts for the parents of each child who took his or her life over this.
    I can't imagine how hurt these kids were and how lost they felt because they were "different".
    Who the fuck gets the right to tell ANYONE they are "different". Different from who!? The people bullying? I would be sooo proud of my boys if they are gay and they stood up for it and knew no matter what anyone else said to them, it was ok!

    I also need to work on not using the word "gay" when something goes wrong or is bad.. I guess I never really connected the fact that it can hurt people. I NEVER use it towards people. And I am 1081903472387480% For gay rights. So really I shouldn't be using it in that way.

    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullying and labeling have serious effects on these young lives. It's really so sad and tragic. Bravo to you for bringing it up!

    Coincidentally, I wrote something on suicide too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rant. It is a huge issue today, that hopefully, over time, will turn in to a total non issue. Until then, while we can't change other peoples opinions or behaviours, we can call them out on it when we see it happening in public, rather than ignoring it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.