Monday, January 2

resolution advice + nye photos.



I've been thinking the past few days, as pretty much everyone else is, about all my new years resolutions and the idea of resolutions in general. I even googled it, because I google everything I'm unsure about and I thought wikipedia gave a pretty good idea. The first thing said about a New years Resolution wsa the following :

"A New Year's Resolution is a commitment that a person makes to one or more lasting personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit. This goal must be reached by the next New Year. Keep in mind that this is a goal, not a wish and should be something that you as a person could strive for."

I thought it was interesting that they mention that it is not a wish and there was an emphasis on striving and committing to the resolution as it is a goal. You must WORK to achieve these goals and to make these resolutions happen. I think we all have to remember this while making resolutions.

I've seen a lot in the blogosphere and with the weightloss website I use about resolutions being a bit silly. In a way I kind of agree, you can't just like put off all good decisions and say "oh, i will do it at new years" because as my good friend at Skinny Jeans Dreams says, there is nothing to it but to do it. If you want something, or if something needs to be done, you have to just do it, not wait until January because when it comes down to it...how many resolutions have you actually stuck to?

I've had a lot of resolutions and every year I vow to lose weight. I have also vowed to stop eating meat, stop chewing my finger nails and figure my shit out, all more than once. The funny thing about it is that I have lost weight, stopped chewing my nails and I was a vegetarian for more than 3 years but I started all these things on my own time, when I was ready, when the moment was right. I still havn't got my shit together but that's for another day.

What I'm saying is that you can't just say its a resolution and its done, you have to be committed as wikipedia said. It's like a drug addict, you can't just tell them to quit or drag them to rehab.. they have to want it with all their heart and soul to quit and it's the same thing with any big changes you make in your life. If you're heart and mind isn't all in, you will most likely fail.

That is the biggest resolution advice I have, which is what this post was intended to be about. I want you all to stick to your resolutions. If your resolution is to lose weight, do it. Start setting small goals and make everyday about being a healthier, awesomer you. You CAN do it, but that's just it..only you can do it, and there is no easy way which leads to my 2nd resolution advice.

Do NOT try a fad diet. I promise you right now that if you have started a low carb diet, a sugar free diet, a dairy free diet, a pill/supplement diet, a "im gonna wrap myself up in this weird plasticky stuff til it squeezes me skinny diet" that you are most likely going to FAIL at it. You might lose weight but you will gain it back. Why? Because changes are you cannot go without dairy or bread or sugar for the rest of your fucking life, especially if you like this things because you will lose control and binge the shit out of it.

Losing weight is about moderation. People always ask me what diet I'm on, what program Im doing.. im doing the smarten the fuck up and eat healthy and work out diet is what I'm doing. If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to get fucking REAL. You have to eat less shit, eat more healthy food and work your ass off so you can be toned and fit and sexy!

That being said, chances are you're gonna want a piece of fucking cake before you die. I eat whatever I want, I really do. Sometimes that can get me into trouble but I've gotten to know myself and how I operate and if I think Im going overboard I say "bailey, you cant have any more god damn ice cream this week. theres no need" and then i dont eat it and i lose a lb because I disciplined myself. Self discipline works wonders.

The thing with eating the desserts and eating the treats and eating the meals that may not be so grand for you is that you just don't eat them everyday and you don't have to eat a man sized portion of it. control yourself and don't eat until you're so full you wanna puke. Some people take the approach "well i only let myself eat this every once in a while im gonna eat so much of it that at the end i wont even enjoy it cause i wont be able to button my pants" and that, my friends, is how we got fat in teh first place. that or emotional eating but we won't even touch that topic today.

My third piece of resolution advice (you know what..i realize these are all about weight loss and not everyone needs to lose weight so im sorry to those of you who are skinny, in shape and perfect..oh wait..no im not) is to seriously exercise. We NEED exercise to be healthy and it does amazing things for you mentally and emotionally as well. I havn't exercised in almost two weeks and Im an emotional wreck, no joke. I'm grumpy, I'm disappointed, I'm depressed. I'm also depressed from drinking, which is another thing you need to do in moderation if you want to lose weight and stay happy!

So back to exercising. In my opinion, those who lose weight by just eating less do not look as good (especially when what they are eating, even if it is less, still isn't that healthy). They look a little loose and they don't glow in that healthy way that those who work out regularly glow. Those who lose weight by eating healthy and working out look so much healthier and fit and strong and sexy. That's just my opinion but I think it's a pretty good one.

Also, exercising speeds up your weight loss and strength training does WONDERS. There was such a huge difference in my body from when I lost 30 lbs by eating less compared to when I had lost 30 lbs this time and was working out and doing a ton of strength training. It is not a myth that a pound of muscle is better than a pound of fat - it is still a pound but that lean muscle takes up SO much less space. I feel better and look better than I ever did with strength training - its one of my biggest recommendations.

So those are my main pieces of advice. I really want everyone to succeed on all their goals for this year but it's all up to you! I still havn't figured all of mine out but I may create a more thorough list of what I'm shooting at some point this month.

What are your guys resolutions??

big love.
bailey.

4 comments:

  1. very insightful! i agree, exercise is so much better than eating nuts to get thin. ha, that made me laugh. ok, for reals though, you are definitely right.

    i can't wait to see you make more changes. you are really grabbing 2012 by the nuts already. man, nuts again. what's wrong with me? should "nuts" be my word for 2012?!

    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog is always so great. You have blossomed in the time I have been following your blog. You have really learned more about yourself and what you want out of life and that is inspiring. There is a distinct difference between healthy and skinny - they aren't always the same. Stay focused. Best wishes and Happy New Year, sweet face!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous nye dress btw.

    i found having a workout buddy really helps cos you motivate each other to leave the house. [especially helps if she's your roommmate] we did kickboxing together with a groupon and it was pretty awesome...but i moved so now im living alone.

    my resolution is to walk the 3.5 mile trail near my house 3-4 times a week until i get a job and then i can afford kickboxing/pilates classes again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love this post. It's brilliant, totally honest and I totally agree with you 100%.

    I also eat what I want, I've never counted calories and never tried to go on a fad diet because I know it wouldn't work for me in the long run. It's all about self discipline, moderation and exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.