Sunday, March 25

Lessons Life Teaches Me

Truro wasn't the best decision I ever made. It wasn't the worst either. The worst decision I ever made.. well.. I don't know what it was! I make bad decisions all the time and even when they are bad it doesn't mean there was no gain, it just means I done-did something stupid. I won't be the first person and I won't be the last. The thing about bad decisions is that if you keep your mind and your eyes and your heart open - you usually learn something from them and that's what Im choosing to do with my experience living in Truro.

Truro isn't awful and I'm not unhappy. I've only been here two weeks so you never know - it could turn into something amazing. The truth is that I'm not sure I have a place here. I went to the bar with a friend last night in hopes of making some friends. I ended up meeting a really nice girl from Moncton named Grace who is also new to Truro so that was great. Other than her though, no one seemed very friendly or like someone I could have a good conversation with. I just wasn't digging the scene.

So maybe I will go home thinking - okay, waste of time and money. But at least now I know where I DON'T want to live. That right there, my friends, is a lesson learned! I'm also learning independence, how to cook, how to drive better and all kinds of random factoids. The biggest part of this journey though is that it's a part of the journey - its a part of my story and contributes to me and my growth into a cool being.

While searching the net today I found a list called "111 Lessons Life Taught us". I related to so many and I found a few that I think deserve a special mention. So here is my condensed favorites list of Lessons Life Has Taught Me. Enjoy !
Big Love,

  • No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
  • Pursuing happiness by acquiring material things is like jogging to the grocery store on your treadmill: it won’t get you anywhere.
  • Laugh at stupid jokes. Apologize. Tell someone how much they mean to you. It’s the small moments that make life grand.
  • Start by asking yourself whether each of your relationships drags you down or lifts you up. Surrounding yourself with positive, loving people is half the battle of living a happy, successful life.
  • Embrace change. As uncomfortable as it is sometimes, change allows us to stretch and grow. New things feel awkward and scary at first, but those feelings go away, and you are left with something bigger and bolder in your life.
  • Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow emotionally and intellectually. They force us to stretch ourselves and our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first. And when we don’t feel comfortable, we don’t feel ready
  • Even when you feel like you have nothing, someone else likely has far less. Find them and help them. You’ll see why.
  • If you want something in your life you’ve never had, you’ll have to do something you’ve never done.
  • Being open-minded is the key to more knowledge. If you want to know more about the world you have to keep an open mind. You have to give people and things a chance.
  • Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.
  • Having a thousand credentials on the wall will not make you a decent human being. But genuinely helping one person everyday will.
  • Trying to be somebody you’re not is not sexy. Be you. That’s when you’re beautiful.

To read all 111 click here :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's such a bummer. Two weeks isn't super long but I know what it's like to just not mesh with somewhere. Props to you for still giving it a go! Hopefully you like it better, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the list of lessons! I need to take note of some and act on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these. especially the one about pursuing happiness but purchasing things. I think it's such a problem in our society, especially now with sites like pinterest (even though I love it) people start lusting over things and forget what's really important. great post!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.