Friday, May 25

island life

For those of you who don't know, I was born and raised on a tiny (non tropical but none the less beautiful) island in New Brunswick, Canada. We're located in the Bay of Fundy and for those of you who are uneducated about countries besides your own, lets just say I'm in the Atlantic Ocean - there's only 4 or 5 of those so I'm sure you've heard of it.

When I say tiny, I mean tiny. It takes about 40 minutes to drive the length of the island and on the drive you see your fair share of trees. The population is about 2400 (rising significantly in the summer with lot's of great american tourists who like to act like they know more than they do about our island but thats neither here nor there) and as you can imagine, there isn't a population that could support businesses that occur in larger towns or cities.

So yes, we have no shopping mall, no chain restaurants, no fast food, no arcade, no colleges, no walmart, etc. We have one gas station, one grocery store, one gym, one school (for grades k-12) and a whole fuck load of churches. Is there a ton to do? Not really. Is it tropical and glamorous? Not even a little. Is the living easy? Yeah, it can be.

As an island, I will be the first to say that I take this place and what it has to offer for granted. It is one of the most gorgeous places in the whole world. I will see pictures of peoples vacations and say "wow, that looks just like -insert grand manan location here-" and it truly does. It is amazing. I wake up every morning to the ocean, the actual ocean, right outside my window, the beach is right there! When I go to sleep at night it is quiet as can be in this town and when the tide is up sometimes, I can hear the waves crashing onto the beach.

Do you know how many people PAY for those things? Pay to see the ocean, be near the ocean, just BE in a place that is so beautiful, scenic, and peaceful? A lot of people pay for it and they pay good money. Sometimes they pay huge money and go to tropical countries but I live here and breathe this amazingly fresh salty air everyday.

It sounds cheesy but we're pretty lucky. I know it isn't the most glamorous place to live, believe me. I am a huge disliker of the naivity of people thinking it's the "best and safest place to raise your children" and I hate and totally agree that there isn't much to do for young people around here. But the people who don't love it can eventually move away and those who enjoy it can stay and enjoy it. It is gorgeous and it is SIMPLE. We take the simplicity of it for granted.

This is what I did today. Granted, I can't do this everyday, and most people can't because of work and life but it was pretty great. I woke up, got ready and headed out the door firs tthing. I filled up my wicked car with gas (about 30$ that will last me days because you never have to drive very far here) and met up with some friends and ones mama. We had an awesome lunch in a little restaurant, laughing and giggling, saying hi to family and friends in the store (its pretty close knit!). After, I headed to a little market with one of my friends and picked up some fruits from my birthday sangria. We ran some errands in the awesome,sunny weather (driving along the ocean and through lots of wooded, pretty areas), stopping to chat with friends along the way. We visited some more friends, laid in ones yard, made use of her pond in the backyard, tanning, hulahooping and sipping on homemade wine as the afternoon passed. Then tonight we had a fire - roasting marshmallows and hot dogs, chatting away as the sun set.

How hard does that sound? It's pretty simple. We can just go to the beach, lay around, and enjoy the sunshine. There are hikes everywhere, mini golf, restaurants, ice cream shops and the lifestyle here is very relaxed. No, there isn't a ton going on, but it's almost nice. Yes, we have to spend money pretty much anytime we want to do something besides sit on our ass, but it costs to do anything in a city most of the time. It makes things exciting when they do happen and it makes going to a city, where there is so much to see and do feel special and exciting. I like that!

There are things I hate about this place but there will always be pros and cons to everything and every place. People complain so much about life here but you can make something happen. I don't love to live here year round but summer living is pretty awesome.  You work, get your pay cheque, and try to enjoy the beautiful simple life that we're blessed with here.

I'm making it a priority to try to enjoy this summer. Yes, I will probably be getting up ridiculously early to waitress every day and yes, sometimes I wish there was something a little more interesting to do. But I can chose to be a grump about it, or I can chose to fuckin rock out and enjoy this beautiful island with all these amazing friends im blessed with. I chose the latter.


If you are curious about my island, you should definitely google it and of course visit some day. We've had some recent claims to fame when a)we were named one of the 7 Best Islands in the world by Readers Digest and b)they filmed a Mars Bar commercial here. I personally find the second one way more interesting but that's just me.

I will leave you the link to the Mars Bar commercial and the documentary (the documentary is really nice). And yes, I do know every single person in the videos. To also prove how small the island is, for one job I worked I served breakfast to the film crew and for the other job I worked, we catered to them through the day. Not too many business around here, lol. Small place, I'm telling you.




big island love,
bailey

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bailey...glad to see we've passed the sarcasm gene on to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The population of your island was the population of my high school. It's crazy when I think of it like that.

    I've always lived in a city but my dream is to live somewhere small with a great community.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.