Tuesday, May 29

taking back the power with paleo.

As my birthday comes to a close, so does my first day experimenting with a Paleo Lifestyle. Yes, this is where my life (and blog) is going next. As you may have noticed, I've been pretty slack on keeping up with my weight loss on here and that's because there is nothing to keep up with. So before I get into the paleo, we shall discuss the biggest fail of my dieting career - the 195 challenge.

The 195 challenge started out really well. I lost 5 lbs and stayed at 208 until about 2 weeks ago. I am now back up and over 213 (my starting weight for the challenge) and weighed in this morning at 214.8. That's a pretty bitter pill to swallow - a 7lb gain. So I didn't even take after pictures because I look the same and I felt no need to further embarrass myself on here.

I'm taking the gain well though. I know what I did wrong. I let little things build up, get worse and I lost focus. I kept telling myself "after your birthday" for the last week and a half, which is what Im doing, but it also sent me over the edge a bit. Having some injuries made me feel like "why bother even working out?" and I was almost completely inactive for the past few weeks. Two weeks of PMS turned me into an emotional wreck which means lots of food for this emotional eater. Not making excuses - just being honest.

I did learn from the 195 challenge and that is important. I fucked up for a few weeks but learning from it, moving past it and using it to be better is bigger than the mistakes and I am so excited to get back on track. The biggest thing I learned from the 195 Challenge was that placing time limits on my weight loss is a bad idea. It puts me under stress and weight loss can't be timed out like that.. at least not for me. I don't lose consistently and I am still learning, I have SO much to learn about this journey. So from now on - no time limits, restrictions or goals based around the scale and weight. It just doesn't work that way.

For the past few weeks I have known I was sabotaging a bit and I knew my eating was absolutely out of control. When I had the constipation issues it was throwing me off, I felt nasty all the time and ate comfort food and didn't exercise. After, I continued eating bullshit and not moving. I knew what I was doing and I needed to go back to THIS post and remind myself of how far I have come with my relationship with food and was also able to realize how much further I have to go. I can do this.

After some long chats with my sister in law about how I was ditching the dairy and was considering cutting back on grains and other shitty carbs, she tried to talk me into test driving the Paleo Lifestyle. For those of you out of the loop or just totally uninterested in healthy living, Paleo living is basically living off things that you would have lived off if you were a cavemen. Nothing processed - just fruits, veggies, meat - things of the earth, I suppose. For a more specific list of what you can/can't eat click here. I was hesitant at first but after a week or so I am really confident in my decision to at least try it out.

I am not going all out. I aim to do about 75% paleo and see how I feel. There is just no way I can do NOTHING processed (partly because i would starve to death on this island that has little to no organic food) and I don't intend to go forever without a potatio chip but I'm ready to work hard. Today was great - I ate totally paleo!

I already miss bread and cheese, I don't know how life will go without them, but I am focused and determined. I have a really good feeling about what this will do for my belly and my weight loss. I already feel cleaner after just one day and my digestion system is on overdrive after months of struggling with constipation if you can believe it. 

I am hoping to keep up with this through my blog and give you a really good review of what (mostly) paleo living can do for you. I am committing to one hardcore month and if I don't like it and see no progress, then I will move go back to bread or cheese or both (sweet sweet cheese...mmmm.) and find what works. I will be giving my measurements (for the first scary as fuck time ever) and weekly check ins, promise! I promise to get off my ass and get back into exercise. I will work around injuries and whatever other obstacles - I am taking back the power, people!

So this weeks weigh in was 214.8 . I started my period today so I'm hoping for it to atleast go down a few this week from bloat. I am not setting a specific number goal though - I promise. It is just too disappointing and stressful. Just hoping to work hard and kick ass!

This weeks measurements (in inches) are :

Bust : 43
Waist : 35
Hips : 43
Belly Button: 40
Thighs: 25
Arms: 14.5


I carry my weight around my belly so I measure my waistline and I measure my belly (two completely different places on me, im fucking long) because it's the place I really focus on slimming. I included my arms (specifically my upper arm) and my thighs because they are two other areas I want to slim down and keep track of.

So wish me luck. I am feeling really great about June!!

Big Love,
Bailey the 21 year old




9 comments:

  1. i'm so excited for this! so far i love being paleo! i'm going about 90% paleo, 10% not. The things I'm not giving up are things like mayo and ketchup which can be paleo if you make it yourself but i'm just not that committed yet! i'm also still having small amounts of cheese but am definitely cutting back and gave up milk (without cereal to have it with it's not so hard).

    also, i love that technically a potato chip is better on the diet than a tortilla chip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! I too am trying to convert to paleo due to a gluten and sugar sensitivity.

    I would **highly** recommend Mark Sisson's "Mark's Daily Apple" website (www.marksdailyapple.com), specifically this page:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz1wGYgb4pB

    which offers a "basics" guide to paleo with lots of great, easy to understand info (I love the way he writes!). The food list you linked to was a bit more restrictive than what paleo (aka "primal") actually "allows" (for example, bacon and sweet potatoes are a big YES!).

    I have noticed amazing results with paleo and when I cheat or go off it, I feel it big time. By following paleo: no joint pain, way better sleep, I get up at 5:45 with no alarm clock feeling well rested, not yawning throughout the day, and best of all, no carb/sugar cravings after sticking to it for a few weeks.

    If you're hungry, make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats. Focus on veggies first, then lean meats, and the rest.

    Some good websites for recipes are:

    www.primal-palate.com

    and

    www.everydaypaleo.com

    and

    www.whole9life.com

    The marksdailyapple.com site has some incredible success stories too.

    Going paleo takes some work and preparation (use the crockpot or cook on weekends and freeze food, making sure you've got enough veggies, fruits (focus on berries), nuts, and stuff to supplement your meat/fish and fat. But the community is amazing and supportive and there's no shortage of recipes, information, or success stories.

    I look forward to reading about your paleo journey!

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck Bailey! I know you can meet whatever goals you set :) I have a friend that is actually doing the pale thing and he feels a lot better he said. I'll be interested to see how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay- I am really really excited for this! I am pumped to read these blogs and see you progress. GO B GO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with paleo! Can't wait to read of your success with it. One thing to keep in mind - remember it is impossible to and there is no such thing as "spot reduce" or "spot tone". If you want your midsection to reduce, all the crunches and planks in the world won't do that. But a combination of healthy eating, cardio, and strength training will get you there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Paleo scares me - I am so bad at sticking to strict diets. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have a really good mentality going into this and I think it's smart not to put time limits on yourself. Just listen to your body, don't guilt trip yourself and you'll do great!

    I'm also really interested in your experience with the Paleo diet. It's not something I'd ever want to attempt, but I keep hearing so much about it and I think it's a really great concept. No processed foods? Heck yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've considered Paleo, too. Will be interesting to see how you make out. I think I'm going to be forced to change my diet. I've had the opposite problem that you have, accompanied by back pain, abdominal pain, and bloating! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah--also, there are all kinds of Paleo pages/groups on Fb. That might help you out with recipes, ideas & support. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love, questions, suggestions or links! Advice and constructive criticism always welcome but no hate and negativity if you can help it at all! Thanks in advance xx

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

previous blog entries.